Shafaq News/ The investigation committee into the assassination attempt on Prime Minister Mustafa Al-Kazemi said, on Monday, that it has not charged anyone so far regarding the incident, which provoked angry reactions at the local and international levels.
The head of the committee, Qassem al-Araji, who is also the national security adviser, said in a press conference that “the investigation committee has not yet accused a person or entity, and that the investigation needs more time.”
Regarding the details of the incident, he said, “The attack was carried out by two drones, one of which landed on the roof of Al-Kazemi’s house and the second in his courtyard,” explaining that “the two planes landed in northeastern Baghdad, and we determined their place of departure.”
He added that “one of the projectiles exploded and the second did not,” noting that “two teams of anti-explosives and forensic evidence were sent to the crime scene and the criminal fencers were taken.”
And he continued, by saying, “A second projectile that did not explode was found on the roof of the prime minister’s house on the second day,” noting that “the attack with two projectiles on Al-Kazemi’s house confirms the direct targeting of the prime minister’s life.”
Al-Araji added, “We were surprised that two anti-explosives and forensic detachments detonated the projectile without collecting fingerprints.”
He explained, “Unfortunately, the explosive control did not perform its duty properly,” noting that the Director General of Explosive Control, Major General Sabah al-Shibli, said that the detachment had collected the fingerprints, and in the second he told the committee that he had detonated the projectile and had not taken the fingerprints.
Al-Araji pointed out that the investigation committee “decided to imprison the members of the two detachments responsible for detonating the projectile and transfer them to the Ministry of Interior,” adding that “the investigation will reach to find out the reasons behind not collecting fingerprints and detonating the projectile.”
He said, “The investigation committee asks anyone who has evidence about the incident to present it,” stressing that the committee is far from “any political debate.”
He pointed out that “the investigation committee performs its duty without any pressure, and carries out its national duty,” noting that “the prime minister recommended the investigation committee to be impartial and professional and to keep the country’s interest in mind.”
He added that “the investigation committee has not sought the assistance of any foreign party so far, and it is possible to use the efforts of brotherly and friendly countries to uncover the truth and take advantage of all possibilities.”
He said, “It was proven to the investigation committee that the prime minister’s house has 4 exits, and it was evacuated to a safe place after the explosion.”
He pointed out that “5 meters separated the first and second projectiles, and they targeted Al-Kazemi’s exit and his seat,” adding, “We asked the Prime Minister’s office to provide us with the names of his visitors for 10 days before the incident.”
Al-Kazemi was subjected to an assassination attempt on November 7, through explosives dropped by drones on his residence in central Baghdad, which caused the injury of a number of his guards, according to the Iraqi army.
The assassination attempt came in the midst of political tensions in Iraq since the announcement of the preliminary results of the early parliamentary elections last month, due to the rejection of the results by armed Shiite forces and factions, which they say are “fabricated”, and demand a manual recount of all votes.
Fears prevail in the country that political and security tensions are a prelude to wider violence due to the rejection of the election results by the losers.