Shafaq News / The Ministry of Peshmerga announced, on Monday, its agreement with the authorities in Baghdad to increase coordination and joint work, to prevent terrorist attacks such as those that occurred two days ago on Iraqi military units and Peshmerga sites in Kirkuk and Baghdad.
The Secretary-General of the Ministry of Peshmerga, Lieutenant General Jabbar Yawar, said that along with the Chief of Staff of the Peshmerga Ministry, Lieutenant General Jamal Eminiki, they attended an expanded security and military meeting supervised by the Iraqi Prime Minister, Mustafa Al-Kazemi, with the participation of the Ministers of Defense, Interior and Federal Finance.
He added that the meeting discussed “the serious threats posed by ISIS terrorists, especially after they caused the death of a number of members of the Tenth Brigade of the Ministry of Peshmerga and the soldiers of the Ministry of Defense in the federal government due to the security and military vacuum.”
He said that the meeting agreed to increase coordination and joint work through joint committees and teams between the army and the Peshmerga forces in the joint coordination centers, including filling gaps and expanding the scope of intelligence information to prevent the recurrence of such action, strengthening security belts, and increasing joint operations.
Yesterday evening, Sunday, the Prime Minister and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, Mustafa Al-Kazemi, chaired an expanded security meeting that discussed coordination between the various federal security forces and the Peshmerga forces, especially in areas with joint responsibility.
The Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces issued several directives to the security forces, on top of which is activating the intelligence and security effort, as well as activating pre-emptive operations to counter the movements of ISIS terrorist gangs and dry up their sources and destroy their incubators.
The Peshmerga forces, north of Kirkuk, on Friday night – Saturday, were attacked by ISIS elements, killing and wounding the victims.
The attack on the Peshmerga was one of a series of violent attacks carried out mostly by ISIS militants north of Baghdad and Kirkuk.
The Peshmerga forces withdrew in October 2017 from what are known as disputed areas after tensions with Baghdad following the independence referendum, creating vacuums in these areas that ISIS members exploit from time to time to launch attacks.
The blanks extend from the Syrian border to the north at Nineveh Governorate, through Salah al-Din and Kirkuk governorates, to Diyala on the Iranian border.
Last year, the two sides formed four joint coordination centers to exchange information and fight ISIS remnants in the areas of security vacuums between them, but no actual joint action has taken place on the ground, and the ISIS militants are still moving easily in those areas.