2,942 security 01/21/2021 19:01
Baghdad today – Baghdad
The spokesman for the Joint Operations Command, Major General Tahseen Al-Khafaji, said today, Thursday (January 21, 2021), that the security forces are continuing their search operations to remove those who cooperated with the suicide bombers who carried out the Tayaran Square attack, indicating that the style of the suicide attack indicates the involvement of the organization ISIS.
Major General Al-Khafaji said, in a televised interview that was followed by (Baghdad Today), “We pledge to the people that those involved in the suicide bombing Square attack and those who facilitated and planned its occurrence will receive their fair penalty.”
He added, “The aim of the two bombings is to inflict the largest possible number of human losses,” noting that “the security forces imposed cordons to prevent the second bombing, which caused great loss of life.”
And that “the style of the bombing today indicates that ISIS is involved.”
He stressed that “terrorism continues to threaten Iraq from neighboring countries,” noting that “in northeastern Syria there has been terrorist activity targeting a number of cities.”
And he added, “Iraqi forces, in cooperation with the international coalition, are building a dam reinforced with towers with advanced capabilities on the borders with Syria to prevent the infiltration of terrorists.”
“We are able to protect the security of citizens and prevent the recurrence of attacks, and we have failed many of these intentions,” he stressed.
Today, Thursday (January 21, 2021), the Ministry of Health and Environment announced the final outcome of the two terrorist bombings that occurred in Tayaran Square in the center of the capital, Baghdad.
Al-Iraqiya News Channel quoted Health Minister Hassan Al-Tamimi as saying, “The death toll from the two terrorist bombings in central Baghdad has risen to 32 martyrs and 110 wounded.”
Al-Tamimi added, “Currently, only 36 wounded people remain in hospitals, receiving treatment, and no wounded have died in our health institutions.”
Earlier in the day, the Ministry of Interior revealed the details of the suicide attack that targeted Tayaran Square, in central Baghdad.
Major General Khaled Al-Muhanna, spokesman for the ministry, said in an interview with (Baghdad Today), that “the first suicide bomber blew himself up after claiming to be sick and people gathered around him,” indicating that “the second suicide bomber blew himself up after people gathered to transport the injured in the first bombing.” .
For its part, the Joint Operations Command confirmed that the first explosion occurred near the Granada cinema, after the terrorist shouted and called on citizens to help him as a patient.
“The first explosion occurred near Granada, after the terrorist played the role of the patient, followed by a second explosion after the security forces arrived at the site of the first explosion, which led to the fall of a number of martyrs and wounded,” said the leadership spokesman, Tahseen Al-Khafaji, in a televised statement.