A new warning from Washington and Baghdad to Tehran


2021-01-02 07:49

A- A A +

Shafaq News / The “Wall Street Journal” reported that the American and Iraqi authorities have warned Iran and the militias it supports against any attacks on diplomats or US military forces in Iraq.

The newspaper stated that any action by Iran would be met with a quick response, as the anniversary of an American drone strike that killed Qassem Soleimani, the former commander of the Quds Force of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard, approaches.

On Wednesday, the US military commander for the Middle East, General Frank MacKenzie, said: “Nobody should reduce our ability to defend our forces or act decisively in response to any attack.”

The Iranian-backed armed groups’ calls for violence against the Americans increased in the period leading up to January 3, the day on which the Iranian Major General Qassem Soleimani and the deputy head of the Popular Mobilization Authority “Abu Mahdi Al-Muhandis” and their comrades were killed while leaving Baghdad airport last year.

On Thursday, a pro-Iranian Iraqi news group posted on the Telegram messaging service a picture of the US embassy that read: “Always remember I can see what you’re doing.”

“NBC News” quoted an American official as saying that Iran was planning to attack American forces in the region, indicating that there were indications of a possible Iranian attack in the Middle East, while CNN reported that an American official said they do not know whether the Iranian preparedness is for a defensive or offensive purpose.

This comes on the eve of the anniversary of the assassination of Qassem Soleimani, the former commander of the Quds Force of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards, as Iranian officials’ statements and positions varied between the military threatening revenge and striking America’s targets, and the politicians who work to calm and warn of an American war that would inflame the entire Middle East region.

In the new threats, the commander of the Revolutionary Guards, Hossein Salami, said that “the taking of revenge continues and is not limited to one point”, referring to the promise of “harsh revenge” that he made since last year.

He added that the Iranian Revolutionary Guard would take revenge for the killing of Qassem Soleimani in “favorable circumstances.”

https://shafaq.com/ar/%D8%B3%DB%8C%D8%A7%D8%B3%D8%A9/%D8%AA%D8%AD%D8%B0%D9%8A%D8%B1-%D8%AC%D8%AF%D9%8A%D8%AF-%D9%85%D9%86-%D9%88%D8%A7%D8%B4%D9%86%D8%B7%D9%86-%D9%88%D8%A8%D8%BA%D8%AF%D8%A7%D8%AF-%D9%84%D8%B7%D9%87%D8%B1%D8%A7%D9%86

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s